Open Government | State of California – Department of Justice
California law provides the public with access to governmental information and processes. Here you can…
California law provides the public with access to governmental information and processes. Here you can find information on:
- Proposed initiatives and ballot measures, including the Attorney General’s 100 word Title and Summary.
- The Public Records Act, including explanatory materials and how to make a request.
- Open meeting laws, including publications on the Bagley-Keene Open Meeting Act and the Brown Act, which provide public access to meetings of state and local boards and commissions. Meeting notices
for specified bodies involving representatives of the Office of the Attorney General are also available.
- Ethics and Conflicts of Interest laws including online courses for state and local officials. There is also a helpful publication with an issue spotter checklist.
State Auditor Hotline: 800-952-5665
The hotline enables state employees and the public to report improper acts committed by state agencies, departments, or employees, as defined by law such as:
- Illegal acts such as theft, fraud, or conflicts of interest by state employees
- Misuse or abuse of state property, including state vehicles, buildings, or equipment, or abuse of state time by state employees
- Gross misconduct, incompetence, or inefficiency by state employees