The Local Government Management Fellowship (LGMF) is a career-development opportunity designed to attract recent MPA/MPP (or related programs) graduates to be placed in full-time management-track local government positions. Finalists are selected based on academic performance, demonstrated leadership potential, commitment to public service, communication skills, initiative, creativity, and positive attitude. They then interview for 12-month fellowship appointments at local governments across the country, during which they receive direct mentorship from a senior government leader at the organization. (Appointments may be extended beyond the one-year term.) Since the program’s launch in 2004, 30 alumni fellows have been hired as chief administrative officers or assistant chief administrative officers; many others are in senior positions in local government. See where Fellows are now.
To be eligible to participate in the Local Government Management Fellowship, applicants must:
- Be a recent graduate or student enrolled in a public administration, public policy, or related field master’s degree program
- Satisfy all of the requirements for their degree program by August 31 of the year of the fellowship
- Have no formal local government management work experience
- Be eligible to work in the United States
- Complete the LGMF application by the closing date
Salaries & Benefits Packages:
Salaries and benefits packages for fellows vary based on a number of factors and are determined by the host city. Both will be discussed with fellows at the end of the interview process, if they are to be offered a position with the host city.
Those individuals placed in an LGMF host community receive:
- Complimentary ICMA Membership for two years
- Complimentary registration to ICMA Annual Conference
- Complimentary registration to an ICMA Regional Conference
- Complimentary access to ICMA’s Applied Knowledge Assessment
- Complimentary subscription to PM Magazine
Become a Fellow Host a Fellow
Questions? Contact ICMA via email at email@example.com.
ICMA thanks NEOGOV for providing their automated hiring tool for the LGMF program to manage the online application, review, and placement process of the next generation of local government managers.