Government Travel Charge Card

Travel Programs > Government Travel Charge Card Government Travel Charge Card The…

Travel Programs > Government Travel Charge Card

Government Travel Charge Card

The Government Travel Charge Card Program (GTCC) provides travelers with a safe, effective, convenient, and commercially available method to pay for expenses associated with official travel. The GTCC includes Individually Billed Accounts (IBAs) and Centrally Billed Accounts (CBAs).

The DoD policy is that the Government-sponsored, Contractor-issued travel card should be used to pay for ALL official travel expenses while on TDY/TAD. Personal use of the travel card or using the travel card to pay for someone else’s travel expenses is prohibited. The use of the travel card for non-official expenses may result in disciplinary actions.

Service and Agency personnel needing assistance should contact their local Agency Program Coordinator (APC). APCs are responsible for managing the DoD GTCC program.


Use of the travel card is mandated by the Travel and Transportation Reform Act of 1998. Per the DoDI 5154.31, Volume 4, DTMO is responsible for developing, coordinating, and maintaining the Government Travel Charge Card Regulations and managing the GTCC program.  The Military Services may further restrict/define this policy.

Individually Billed Accounts

Payment of IBAs is the responsibility of individual travel charge card holders. There are two types of IBAs, Standard and Restricted:


  • Minimum credit score (660) required
  • Total credit limit (monthly cycle): $7500 (Cash advance limit – $250)
  • Split disbursement mandatory
  • Billing statement mailed to cardholder’s address


  • Credit score from 500-659 required or credit check declined
  • Total credit limit (monthly cycle): $4000 (Cash advance limit – $250)
  • Split disbursement mandatory
  • APC “Activation/Deactivation required”
  • Billing statements mailed to cardholder’s address

Centrally Billed Accounts

A CBA is a variation of the travel card, under the DoD travel card program. CBAs are used for the Department’s specific needs and may be the method of payment for expenses incident to official travel, to include local travel. Payment of CBAs is the responsibility of the government. There are two types of CBAs, Transportation Accounts and Unit Cards.

  • Limited use
  • Must be approved by the Component Program Manager
  • Credit limit consistent with mission
  • Government liability
  • Account Manager responsible for management and reconciliation

Travel Card Training

DTMO requires all cardholders to take the Travel Card Program Course (listed as Programs and Policies – Travel Card Program (Travel Card 101)) available through Travel Explorer (TraX). To access TraX, users must register through Passport DTMO’s web portal. For instructions on accessing Travel Card Program training in TraX, click here.

For FAQs related to this program are available in the Quick Links and Resources box above and also in Travel Explorer (TraX) via DTMO’s Passport.


Source Article