Encouraging ethical practices is an important way for the State Bar to prevent and discourage attorney misconduct. This is where you’ll find many resources, including ethics opinions, education programs and research tools that can aid attorneys in the course of practicing law.
Publication Announcement: The 2019 Publication 250, Volume 1 and Volume 2, which includes the California Rules of Professional Conduct, State Bar Act, selected California Rules of Court and statutes regarding duties of attorneys and discipline, is now available and can be purchased online.
The Ethics Hotline is a confidential research service for attorneys seeking guidance on their professional responsibilities.
As of March 17, the State Bar’s offices in San Francisco and Los Angeles are closed to the public, with all staff required to telecommute. This is expected to continue until April 7, unless changed by a follow-up notification. As a result, until further notice, the Ethics Hotline is operating a modified service. Attorneys may request a call by completing the online Ethics Hotline Research Assistance Request Form. Do not call the Ethics Hotline call center as you cannot use that system for obtaining assistance.
If you complete the online call request form, an Ethics Hotline staff person will return your call between the hours of 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. If this is a time-sensitive matter involving potential imminent physical harm or extreme urgency, you may call: 415- 538-2148.
Additional information regarding law practices affected by natural disaster or catastrophic event can be found on the Ethics News page.
Thank you for your patience and cooperation during this period of modified service and check this page periodically for updates.
Rules and Statutes on Attorney Conduct
- California Rules of Professional Conduct
- The State Bar Act – Business & Professions Code §§ 6000 et seq.
- Selected Statutes Regarding Professional Conduct, Discipline of Attorneys and Duties of the State Bar of California
- California Rules of Court
- Rules of Procedure of the State Bar and Rules of Practice of the State Bar Court (Rules of the State Bar, Title 5)
- Law Corporation Rules (Rules of the State Bar, Title 3, Division 2, Chapter 3)
- Legal Specialization Rules (Rules of the State Bar, Title 3, Division 2, Chapter 2)
- Pro Bono Rules (Rules of the State Bar, Title 3, Division 2, Chapter 6)
- Rules and Regulations Pertaining to Lawyer Referral Services (Rules of the State Bar, Title 3, Division 5, Chapter 3)
- Out-of-State Attorney Arbitration Counsel Program (OSAAC) Rules (Rules of the State Bar, Title 3, Division 3, Chapter 2)
- Mandatory Fee Arbitration Rules (Rules of the State Bar, Title 3, Division 4, Chapter 2)
- MCLE Provider and Attorney Rules
- Supreme Court Order S158605 Regarding the State Bar IOLTA Program
Research and Resources
Client Trust Accounts
The State Bar has plenty of information that can help you manage your client’s trust account.
You may subscribe to the Office of Professional Competence’s email list to receive notifications regarding the work of our office, including the circulation of ethics opinions and rules for public comment, publications, educational events, and more.