(səˈsaɪ ɪ ti)
n., pl. -ties,
1. an organized group of persons associated together for religious, benevolent, cultural, scientific, political, patriotic, or other purposes.
2. a body of individuals living as members of a community; community.
3. human beings collectively, viewed as members of a community: the evolution of society.
4. a highly structured system of human organization for large-scale community living that normally furnishes protection, continuity, security, and a national identity for its members: American society.
5. such a system characterized by its dominant economic class or form: middle-class society; an industrial society.
6. those with whom one has companionship.
7. companionship; company.
8. the social life of wealthy, prominent, or fashionable persons.
9. the social class that comprises such persons.
10. the condition of those living in companionship with others, or in a community, rather than in isolation.
11. Biol. a closely integrated group of